Friday, November 14, 2008

Lots of Money Poorly Spent

So people and churches, outside of California, felt that Prop 8's failure was so dangerous, or non-religious, or too Christian, or something, that they spent more than $9 million dollars on the ballot measure.

I assume that most churches and church-going people give money to their church's causes in order to help people. While I don't know exactly what happened to that $9 million, I do know of some ways that you could spend much less than that, and actually help people. Here are some examples:
  • $60 buys a flock of chicks, ducks, and goslings that will grow up to provide eggs
  • $120 buys a sheep that can provide wool to a village, not to mention lambs (a goat is also $120) 
  • $500 buys a milk cow that can provide enough milk for a family and neighbors, for years!

Maybe I'm thinking too small here; I mean, $9 million is a lot of money. How about this:
  • $1500 buys Heifer International's "Joy to the World" collection: two sheep, four goats, a heifer, and two llamas
  • $5000 buys the "Gift Ark:" 15 pairs (that's 30 animals), including two water buffalo, sheep, cows, oxen, ... 

I think for $9 million, probably Heifer International would send everything anyone needs. Instead, that money went to put stupid, lying, ads on television, successfully scaring old people into thinking that bad things would happen if Prop 8 failed.

Well, maybe you out-of-state folks are so rich that this isn't that much money for you. I'm hopeful that you will send some much needed money to people who actually need it, especially because I can't any longer. The donations I used to make to help poor villages, hungry kids, and equipment for schools; now instead I have to send to repeal Prop 8. But obviously you guys are rich enough, I'm sure you can help those kids out.

No comments: