Thursday, May 27, 2010

Disaster recovery: Lessons learned from a volcano | IT Leadership | TechRepublic.com

Disaster recovery: Lessons learned from a volcano

Like thousands of other travelers, I spent several unplanned days in Europe recently due to the ash cloud spewing from the unpronounceable volcano in Iceland. I joked with friends and colleagues that despite several hundred thousand miles of business travel under my belt, if you asked me to write 50 reasons I would be stuck somewhere for several days, I most likely would not even remotely considered including a volcano on that list.

During the 14-hour drive from the shuttered Paris airport to clearer skies over Madrid in one of the last rental cars in Paris, I contemplated what lessons there were for IT and general disaster planning and recovery to be learned from this incident. There were three broad lessons I learned plotting my escape from the ash cloud that have broad applicability to corporate disaster planning...

read the rest of the post at blogs.techrepublic.com.com

These are good guidelines that your disaster recovery plans probably don't already have defined:

Lesson 1: Focus on outcomes not scenarios
Lesson 2: Provide empowerment
Lesson 3: Have a price tag
Lesson 4: Figure out who to talk to

Posted via web from dianaf's posterous

No comments: