I was trying to figure out what the point of Facebook is, at least in a work context. Then I realized it's like my cubicle! When I used to have an assigned office at work, I had all kinds of things visible for any visitor to see:
* papers, etc., that I'm working on
* books I'm reading or refer to
* calendar with pictures and notes
* magazines showing my interests
* pictures of my SO, my dogs, Bay to Breakers, etc.
* current fun mousepad
* collection of floaty pens
* random small toys to play with if you were waiting for me to get off of the phone
You (the visitor) could also leave me a note, and see if I'm around and maybe what I was currently doing.
Isn't my Facebook page like that?